October 23, 2013

Color Theory Pattern Project

225 SQ | 900 SQ | 3600 SQ | 32,400 SQ

I just completed the fifth project for a design studio class that I am currently taking. For this project I had to demonstrate color theory and pattern language. The task was to use 8 related colors that exhibit the concepts of tint, shade and tone. But I also had to demonstrate how 5 harmonic colors exhibit the pattern of either complementary, analogous, or tetradic square color schemes. First, I had to choose 5 related colors that demonstrate the progression of that color. I chose a minty green as a base color and went two shades darker and lighter in tint and tone to show the progression. Second, I had to choose 3 harmonic (contrasting) colors that are different in hue and needed to be distinctly patterned in relation to each other on the color wheel. I went with brown, peach and yellow to because I felt that it would complement the 5 shades of green. Thirdly, I had to apply these colors into a mathematical, musical or abstract theory pattern that projects pattern language. I went with a modern abstract pattern that projects calmness and simplicity yet it leaves room for collaboration and interoperation.
The only medium that I could use for this project were paint color chips that you can get at any home improvement hardware store. After a trip to Home Depot, I went home with small stack of Behr color chips. The craftsmanship that went into the project was to precisely cut out 1" squares of each color and glue them on to a 15x15" foam core board, which would give me a total of 225 squares. The final product is what you see in the upper left hand photo. I decided to take the project one step further to see what kind of pattern I could produce if I took the photo and tessellated it. The results blew my mind because through some simple flips and rotations of the original photo I was able to create some beautiful design patterns. The photo on the upper right was created by taking the original photo and tessellating it over 4 squares (225 sq x 4 sq), which gives us a total of 900 squares. The photo on the lower left was created by taking the previous photo and tessellating it over 4 squares (900 sq x 4 sq), which give us a total of 3600 squares. Finally, the photo on the lower right was created by taking the previous photo and tessellating over 9 squares (3600 sq x 9 sq), which gives us a total of 32,400 squares. I am in love the final product and could see it as floor tiles in a Spanish Style house. Below are the fabulous works that some of my classmates have created. I took a photo of it and tessellated it to create some wonderful patterns.







No comments:

Post a Comment